Flash new firmware or not? I'm at my own Rubicon

First of all, thank you for your reply. As I mentioned, I’ve had my Ender 3 for about two years now, running on the SKR Mini for the last year, and as you said, “There’s been a TON of improvements”. It’s printing ok for my needs, but I wouldn’t mind having access to the features that up-to-date firmware could provide. I recently updated the firmware on my laser engraver and that was a pretty painless affair, but that didn’t require any editing of the file. For instance, if I enable BLTouch in the firmware of my Ender, do I need to have the hardware installed first or can I wire that in later? I would like to find a tutorial geared towards a first timer, like me, that can explain step-by-step which files I need and how to go about editing them and then uploading them to the printer, without bricking it! That’s very important to me…I keep telling myself…“Paul, don’t brick your printer”. Your site is a very good resource for people like me which is why I was more than happy to contribute financially. In addition to your .bin file I assume I’m going to have to edit the configuration.h file to enable the features I want, but I honestly don’t know. Can you recommend a link or site that would give me a good grounding in the art of firmware updating? Again, thank you for being here for people like me.