BTT Smart Sensor Resume Temp Error: 170c

Since installing the BTT smart filament sensors on my printers I am no longer losing prints to jams or runouts. However, there is a new problem where the printer’s temp spuriously sets itself to 170c, and that’s much too low for PETG, and so I lose the print. The sensor triggers instantaneously and there is no way to change the temp.

I believe that the settings for the filament sensor are in M600, but that seems only available through compiling the config.h file by hand. I can’t see to find a way to do this in the Firmware Builder.

This problem has occurred several times over multiple printers, resulting in the loss of many kilos of filament and many machine hours.

CR-10 S5 printers!

The video below explains this as well.

Any suggestions most welcome.

The default of 170c is used when the heater is turned off - ie there is no preset temperature that is already in use.

How did this filament change get triggered? Via the runout sensor? Manually? or via G-Code?

When the value is flashing, can you then turn the dial to change the value? I can’t say I’ve noticed before…

How it should work, is that if the filament runout sensor is triggered, and the hotend is already at a set point higher than 170c, then the currently set temperature is maintained.

While its not quite a proper fix, you can try to send M302 S210 to set the minimum extrude temperature to 210c - or a value of your choosing - to see if this works around the problem.

I’m actually wondering if the sensor tripped the runout state, but then the max idle time was hit and therefore the extruder was turned off.

I’m actually wondering if the sensor tripped the runout state, but then the max idle time was hit and therefore the extruder was turned off.

That might be it, but it’s an intermittent problem in that case. I mean; sometimes the hotend is left idling for many hours and this does not happen - the hotend maintains the user specified set point. This problem never ever happened before the BTT runout sensors were installed.

How did this filament change get triggered? Via the runout sensor? Manually? or via G-Code?

Via runout sensor.

When the value is flashing, can you then turn the dial to change the value?

Not at all. This problem always results in a lost print.

While its not quite a proper fix, you can try to send M302 S210 to set the minimum extrude temperature to 210c - or a value of your choosing - to see if this works around the problem.

Thanks for this - I’ll try it.