Ender 3 dual Z axis motor on 4.2.7 board

I have recently installed the creality dual Z motor kit for my Ender 3 Pro https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09N8QQDSP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am running a nightly build with BL touch enabled. I’ve read that I need to modify the firmware to enable support for a second motor. If I don’t then I guess I can keep going with the nightly build as is and I can power on my printer without fear of breaking stuff.

…I really didn’t plan / read ahead enough

Hi @knowsnothing

I also have a dual Z setup. You don’t say what board that your using, but if your board doesn’t have a second Z motor plug, you need to use a splitter cable like this one:

Splitter cable for dual Z axis

Or, if you have a spare stepper motor cable laying around, you can splice it yourself.

1 Like

Thanks for the response,

I guess it’s the “silent” board. Still kind of new to this stuff. But yeah, the kit I purchased has a splitter. Can I continue using the same firmware or do I need something different?

You can keep using the same firmware. The splitter cable sync’s both motors to run at the same speed, so essentially your only running one motor as far as the controller board is concerned.

Thanks,

I did some reading around and found that yeah, I’m running them in parallel and some additional effort is necessary to manually level it. If I want independent Z steppers I’ll need to go with an SKR Mini 3. That has independent Z stepper plugs and it’s own firmware mess.

I have the SKR Mini E3 V3.0. It has to Z axis plugs, but both of them go to the same stepper controller. If you want truly independent Z motors, you need something like the BigTree Octopus:

or Klipper and another control board.

Good to know!

The mini even though it has it’s own ports it’s still parallel due them going to the same stepper controller. Makes perfect sense!

Thanks again for further clarification!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.