Ender3-v4.2.7-BLTouch - Latest Firmware issues

Just installed; Ender3-v4.2.7-BLTouch-20230902.bin succesfully, but having issues with my BLTOUCH probe not homing.

Device details;
Ender 3 V4.2.7 - Silent board

Running test commands on the BLTOUCH over COM3 works fine;

1. Self-Test: M280 P0 S120
    This will perform a self-test where the pin should deploy and retract several times.
  2. Deploy Pin: M280 P0 S10
  3. Retract Pin: M280 P0 S90
  4. Alarm Release and Self-Test: M280 P0 S160
  5. Alarm Release: M280 P0 S60

However when I run G28 to auto-home, the bed X and Y level, the hotend moves to the center and then the Z-AXIS moves up around 20CM for some reason, probe starts to deploy and reset multiple times, but then the Z Axis doesn’t go down and we get the following error;
SENT: G28

SENT: M105

READ: echo:busy: processing

busy: processing

READ: Error:!! STOP called because of BLTouch error - restart with M999

READ: X:162.00 Y:124.00 Z:25.00 E:0.00 Count X:12960 Y:9920 Z:10000

READ: ok P15 B0

READ: ok T:22.13 /0.00 B:22.23 /0.00 @:0 B@:0

READ: ok T:22.18 /0.00 B:22.25 /0.00 @:0 B@:0

Wiring of my BLTOUCH;

Overall, I was running Marlin V1.3.1 before today, and the bltouch was working fine, but I had some issues with my Y-AXIS being off, so decided to do a firmware update.

The prebuilt firmware uses the PROBE port for the BLTouch.

That means you’ll need to move the BLTouch from the Z-Stop to the other two pins on the PROBE port.

1 Like

The connector attached doesnt currently fit and i dont have any wire connectors to extend it.

Any way of using it with current format or where to get a connector cheap.

When I was waiting for my crimp set to arrive for those type of plugs, I just used a sharp knife to trim the connector to fit :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

If you have a crimp set, its best to replace it with a 5 pin plug.

They’re pretty cheap for the basic sets on AliExpress - which is where I got mine…

This is the one I got: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DDJZand

1 Like

Trimmed off the little locking clip and it just about fit and it works!! Yay,

Now my original problem exists, the BLTOUCH when autohome isn’t 100% centered, Y axis is slightly off, how do I address this? This occured after I tightened my Y axis belt, so it’s misaligned now some how.

You’ll need to set the Probe Offset.

There’s more info in the BLTouch FAQ:

Yeah was used to this on the old firmware, but looks the printer won’t move into negative Z axis, so 0.00 is around 4mm above the bed, but can’t get it to move down to the paper to confirm :frowning:

Correct. The Z axis will not move down without being homed, and not move below 0 to prevent bed damage. By very definition, 0 is the surface of the bed, so instructing the printer to go below 0 tells it to pass the nozzle through the bed.

We have to fix this in a way that makes sense in the coordinate scheme.

Check in the UI if the Z Offset Wizard is working - and if so, use that to bring the nozzle to the bed.

When you probe a mesh, you can safely make adjustments at that point to bring things more into alignment.

Seem to have got it all setup, corr I’d like to class myself as someone who’s fairly technical, takes a lot of work :smiley:

Hahahaha - yep - I’m a technical person as well - but it took quite some time to get my head around most things - and I’ll confess - I still don’t know everything :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for your support, just gotta do E steps for the extruder, and then will do a test print

Ok, so oddly enough, I’ve set my Z-Offset, printing well to the bed, however still struggling with the Y axis, I’ve gone for -25 which brought the probe to the center.

However when I select “probe Z offset” it does the usual center, and it seems to bring the Y axis forward to 0 again to probe it. Looks like it’s doing this with printing too, as it’s still off center.

Struggling with some large prints which want to print the supports pretty much as close to the edge as it can, but in this case it’s printing it off the bed.

When it probes auto home its perfectly on the white X

To check the positioning of the print area, move to X0 Y0 Z1 and see if that corresponds to the very front left.

Try the same at the outer limit of your bed - say X235 Y235 Z1 and see if that also lines up.

Yeah youre right 0x 0y 0z isnt right how do i fix?

That one, I’m not so sure about!

I think its something to do with home offsets - but I’m not exactly sure.

Ok so it looks like I need to define this in the firmware to account for my misalignment;
#define MANUAL_Y_HOME_POS 7

Could you help me generate your latest with this?

You may be able to get the same result with the M206 command.

This wouldn’t need a rebuild of the firmware if it works.