Feature request - Independent axis home

It would be very convenient for bed leveling if independent X, Y and Z axis could be homed.

This can already by done via G-Code - ie:

G28 X
G28 Y
G28 Z

Or as a combination of axis:

G28 XY

Are you talking more about from a LCD screen or similar?

Well, duh, of course it can be done via G codes. And, it can easily be compiled in as a lcd menu item. I do not have a terminal connected to my printer, and don’t relish the extra expense and aggravation of dealing with more computers. I had RPi’s connected to all of my printers in my printer garden and it was much more trouble that it was worth. (You can buy a used printer nowadays to add to your printer garden/farm for the price of a RPi, so I have repurposed my printer RPi’s.)

So I was obviously referring to uncommenting a line of two in the Marlin source files.

Thanks for responding.

Mitch
Opelika, AL

Which style of LCD screen do you have? Which printer?

First, I really appreciate your Marlin Firmware Service. I have four Creality printers: an Ender 3 original, an Ender 3 Pro, and two Ender 3 Max. I have three different motherboards, all of which you support. Super convenient, and a real value for a small donation.

To answer your question, my troublesome printer is the Ender 3 Pro, stock Creality LCD screen, Creality motherboard v4.2.2 with GD32F303RET6 512k processor. Please note that you have to configure Marlin as having a stock CR-10 LCD and add a define as follows to prevent a blank screen:
//edit begin
#define CR10_STOCKDISPLAY
#define RET6_12864_LCD
//edit end

Being able to move the print head to the middle of the print bed and home Z makes leveling the bed very easy. Release steppers, position print head over the middle of the print bed, home Z. (Making sure not to crash the print head.) Adjusting position of Z endstop, repeat a few times until Z endstop in proper position. Move print head to bed corners, home Z, adjust bed corners. Takes about 5 minutes to level a bed that is totally unleveled. Once leveled in this manner, I am good for quite a few prints by just checking the bed corners before each print, little or no adjustment necessary. Bed tramming also is very useful. This leveling method works great — for me, YMMV.

By being able to home Z anywhere on the print bed, I have removed the ABL devices from my printers. I found I was not using them.