Help with Firmware Builder

So got a question guys, I am running an ender 3 Pro with BTT e3 v2.0 board. if I run the pre compiled firmware for it here, everything works perfectly. My problem is I want to customize it a little and if I build it in the firmware builder the printer does not home properly. X and Y home correctly but Z does not. I am selecting the option to use bl touch port as the pre compiled firmare uses the same port instead of the z min port. I just don’t understand what is changing, any help would be much appreciated.

Rick

It might help to say what the problem with homing the Z axis is. Maybe that’s a simple fix?

with the Z axis it doesn’t lower down to the bed it moves to the center for Z safe homing then it stops

Does the probe extend at all? Or does it all just stop?

Same problem with latest version downloaded Ender 3 with SKR mini e3 v2.
When homing z axis it just goes up, probe in the air and gives STOPPED.
I see there is no way to go under 0 (negative) in Z axis movement too.

I’ll ask the same question again - before it says STOPPED, does the probe extend, then retract twice?

This is what Marlin does when it cannot detect the state of the probe changing. When Marlin can’t detect the state of the probe changing, it cannot tell when the probe hits the bed, and the STOPPED is preventing the head from slamming into the build plate and damaging your nozzle or the bed - or both.

Mine is working fine now I got the pin out for both of my boards and wrote my own firmware

Unless you have a one-of-a-kind board, it wasn’t a problem with the pin allocations.

It’s likely that you had the wrong port selected for your setup. The BLTouch can connect to two different spots - depending on what cable you have. The Z-Stop port, or the PROBE port.

For the firmware to know what port to listen on, you need to tell it the correct port you have the BLTouch connected to.

The PROBE port is the 5 pin header - and normally is with a 5 pin cable. The Z-Stop is most frequently used when your BLTouch has a 3 pin and a 2 pin connector on it.

You can however use the 3+2 pin cable in the 5 pin header with a bit of modification.

It’s always better to use the PROBE port if you can - as its direct to the MCU without filtering, and therefore more accurate.

Hi thanx!
Probe extend and retract for 2 times before saying STOPPED and i have BLTOUCH connected like in the photo here:

Yep - that looks like the Z-Stop port. You should select the BLTouch options as such:

Thanx!! But…where do i have to set it, in firmware or through ender menu?

That change can only be made at the firmware level - hence my screenshot of the relevant part of the Firmware Builder.

Sorry for my ignorance, but, where may i find this Firmware Builder? cause i’m using VisualStudio to compile my own firmware…

This whole topic is about the Firmware Builder here:

https://marlin.crc.id.au/builder/

Wonderful, thanx!!! i’ll give it a try :slight_smile: