is the initial configuration in the firmware builder exactly the same as the final daily compiled file?

is the initial configuration in the firmware builder exactly the same as the final daily compiled file?

No.

The firmware builder takes files directly from the Configurations Repo and then presents options for you to alter.

Some options are then macros that will enable or change a bunch of options to make a feature operate how most people would expect them to operate.

The nightly builds are a more refined configuration for the entire machine with a preset list of options as presented on the page for each printer.

The two are based on different build systems - which currently makes the process incompatible to import the nightly configurations into the on-demand build system. Merging them together is my eventual goal, but that’s a lot of time to achieve so has slipped back in the priorities somewhat…

1 Like

hi steven,

thank you for the detailed answer!

but that’s really a pity. i found your service great particularly for this reason. compiling a tiny firmware like marlin doesn’t even take 30 seconds on a notebook. but unfortunately the config files of this tiny firmware are so huge that i didn’t feel like spending hours or days with the individual configuration points.

and because your finished daily .bin version (ender 3 pro 4.2.7 cr-touch) worked perfectly right away it would have been the ideal way to try out one or the other feature quickly and easily. and i think that will be the case for many people here.

if merging both ways is time-consuming, wouldn’t it be easier to start the firmware builder exclusively from your configuration of the daily builds?

specifically, I am missing in daily builds the pid for the heating bed.

cheers
tom

The configurations are embedded in the firmware - so the M503 C command can be used to write them to the SD Card. They contain the options that the firmware was built with.

I haven’t had a chance to check the format, or how well they’d apply to a new setup - but it should very well be possible.