Official Creality Ender 3 V2 Filament Runout Sensor Issue

Just added a BL Touch and the Official Creality Ender 3 V2 Filament Runout Sensor to my Ender 3 with the 4.2.7 board and grabbed the pre-bult firmware * Ender 3 - v4.2.7 Board - BLTouch and each print starts leveling process just fine (injected G29 into cura) and then prints first line, but instead of moving to the side and drawing the second line (cura start G-code) it starts the change filament process I assume because of the senor isn’t detecting correctly. When I run a m119 in Octoprint: This is my return:
Send: M119
Recv: Reporting endstop status
Recv: x_min: open
Recv: y_min: open
Recv: z_min: open
Recv: z_probe: TRIGGERED
Recv: filament: TRIGGERED
Recv: ok P15 B3

Once I perform the filament change out it begins to print, and doesn’t appear to trigger again. Do you think it might be a problem with my runout distance being insufficient? If so where do I adjust that? On the printer itself it just has a On or Off for the sensor. If I have to build a custom firmware, is there a guide you would recommended for building it?

It depends which filament sensor you have. If you have the rotary encoding type like the one linked from the firmware page, it expects to see a pulse every X mm - where X is the runout distance.

If you have a microswitch based one, then that will need to be configured via the Firmware Builder to select the correct options for your sensor. There’s about 5 different combinations - depending on what your sensor is and how its wired up.

I only support the rotary encoder ones - as they will also trigger on filament jams - whereas the microswitch ones won’t see it as a problem. This makes the rotary encoder ones much more reliable to detect problems in more situations.

thanks, I am using the Creality One which sounds like is just a microswitch based one. I think I will just uninstall it and buy the better one. For now I will run add M412 S0 G code in cura to override the runout for now thanks again for your reply

Yeah - reading between the lines:

Blue LED indicates normal filament feed-in, when the Blue LED turns off, it means filament runs out.

That sounds like microswitch based to me.