FIlament Runout Sensor on Ender 3 Max (4.2.2 + BLTouch) nightly firmware

Hi there! I have exactly the same problem as ecard, namely that the filament runout sensor is reversed (it detects filament when there isnt one inserted). Is there a fix for this or could you change the nightly version accordingly?

The firmware builder does not work for me, because the CR-Touch just does not stop when bed levelling and digs into the bed without stopping until the firmware fails.

Still have that issue and don’t know how to fix it. Could you help me with that please?

If you’re using the nightlies, then it ONLY supports the rotary encoder types of filament sensors.

If you use something different, you’ll have to configure it for yourself via the Firmware Builder.

If your probe doesn’t detect the bed and stop, then you have the wrong options selected for where you have your probe connected. ie Z-Stop vs Probe port etc.

the issue I see is that when the filament senor is enabled in the settings, any print that I start wants to change the filament after the skirt is done. Also noticed today that when I try to print from the sd card the printer reboots at the 2nd layer or thereabouts.
using 6/10 version.

I have a Ender 3 Max (4.2.2 + CRTouch), I test with the Ender3-Max-v4.2.2-BLTouch-20221225.bin and the Ender3-Max-v4.2.2-BLTouch-20221224.bin and when I try to print, after the G29 I receive a runout message then it goes to change filament, take out the filament and ask to change.

My Filament Sensor is the stock Microswitch based.

If I turn off the runout sensor on the configuration of the printer I don’t get the error.

Given the combinations of microswitch runout sensors (they really are stupid), it will need either a high or a low signal to indicate that filament is present.

You can use the M119 G-Code to view the status of your filament switch.

Pay extra attention to filament runout state as this will determine if you should set it to LOW or HIGH if you are using the Builder. Use M119 console command to get the current state of the sensor. If the filament is inside the sensor using M119 should show:

• Triggered – the settings should be set to HIGH
  • Open – the setting should be set to LOW

Marlin will always expect that the switch state is Triggered (HIGH) when filament is NOT present in the microswitch.

If your switch operates in a reversed manner, its easier to swap the pins on the plug for the sensor to keep things in a standard manner - otherwise you’ll be tripped up by this time and time again.

I have a Ender 3 Max (4.2.2 + CRTouch), I test with the Ender3-Max-v4.2.2-BLTouch-20221225.bin and the Ender3-Max-v4.2.2-BLTouch-20221224.bin and when I try to print, after the G29 I receive a runout message then it goes to change filament, take out the filament and ask to change.

My Filament Sensor is the stock Microswitch based.

@CRCinAU

I return to the stock firmware to be able to print. I tried to disable the sensor and don’t give the error for a moment, but it began to drop the filament a lot higher. I calibrate the Z offset and run the bed level, but the problem continues. I don’t know if its a issue with my model, But when I use the M119 with the filament inside the sensor I get

Send: M119
Recv: Reporting endstop status
Recv: x_min: open
Recv: y_min: open
Recv: z_min: TRIGGERED
Recv: filament: open
Recv: ok

I am going to test with the Marlin Firmware. I asume that i will receive the same.

I buy my printer on ebay Link https://www.ebay.com/itm/354288406654

Ender 3 Max.
The only change that i have made at the moment is the CR-touch

@CRCinAU

I use the Firmware Builder and set the filament runout sensor to Use LOW signal for out of filament and at the moment is working well. Turned off and on and still working well.

Thank You.

1 Like