Ender 3 V2 Stock Display Icons Missing after Firmware Upgrade

The DWIN_SET.zip file is in each directory for the Ender 3 V2 screens.

I tried the latest DWIN_SET but it still doesn’t update. No orange screen. I’m using the microsd card the ender 3 v2 came with. Could it be the microSD card? I’ve also tried updating it before, would renaming the .bin in the DWIN_SET folder fix this?

Went over the step again for setting up the microSD card. When I clean the microSD card I get this.

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart has encountered an error: Access is denied.
See the System Event Log for more information.

Running it a second time cleans the disk could this be an issue?

Running chkdsk gives me this.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

2,092,957,696 bytes total disk space.
4,096 bytes in 1 hidden files.
4,096 bytes in 1 files.
2,092,945,408 bytes available on disk.

4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  510,976 total allocation units on disk.
  510,973 allocation units available on disk.

When you pull the back off the screen, does it say F1C100S on the main screen’s CPU?

Hello!
I just want to inform that latest build can NOT connect to octoprint on my RPi. All settings are restored to defaults.
Cheers.

EDIT: I changed “baudrate” in Octoprint to “AUTO” and problem fixed.

1 Like

Ok people for a bunch of 3D nerds I’ll give you a hint. Format your card in the FAT 32, extract the DWIN_SET but open the folder so your at the heirchy of DWIN_SET and Private folders in windows explorer then copy that folder to your sd card and poof it works.

EDIT. Problem solved. Not related to firmware.

I found out that there are 2 versions of the LCDs that are sold - a DWIN LCD and a DACAI LCD. They are identical externally, and you have to look at the PCB internally to see what you really have. Without knowing it I got the DACAI version - No matter what DWIN set I used it kept getting bad screen text. Then I saw this writeup that shows the DACAI LCD have odd issues. I returned the one I got.

If you extract the DWIN_SET.zip from my site onto the root of your SD Card and put it in the display, you’ll be able to update both types of LCD without issue.

Different question. How can I change the font on display? At some point (after screen update) it was changed to “Slashed zero” witch is annoying. Can it be done?

Thank you man, this worked perfectly!!

I can’t get icons on an E2 V2 with 4.2.2 board and Gen1 screen after updating with the 7/30 E2 V2 BL Touch version and the 7/30 DWIN_SET folder on the downloads page. After the first failure trying to update the display, I reformatted the SD card using FAT32 and tried again with the same results. Anyone have any suggestions?

7/31 update: I tried the 7/31 DWIN_SET file with same results. Having formatted the SD card using Mac Disk Utility and thinking maybe it didn’t do a proper job, I reformatted the card in Windows (In Parallels) using the the Tuxera official SD Card Formatter again with the same results.

Update 8/1/22: Pretty discouraged with the radio silence here. It seems I’m talking into a vacuum. Instead of the 32GB SD card I had been using, I tried an 8GB with same results. I loaded the latest Creality controller firmware and the screen worked fine. Reloaded this firmware and no icons again. This is an exercise in frustration. It seems this issue has been extant for quite a long time and that nobody really understands what is happening. Maybe it is time for a completely different controller board and display.

Update 8/2/22: Problem solved. I purchased a new 8GB SD card, formatted it with the Windows Explorer format function with 4096 byte sector size and had success. Things I learned: 1. Not all SD card formatting tools allow selection of sector size. 2. SD cards over 8GB cannot be formatted with 4096 byte sector size and so will not work for this purpose. “Brand X” SD cards that are supplied with some printers are not reliable and should be the prime suspects in any anomalous behavior.

I’m not sure if you’ve read through this thread - but there’s lots of hints and instructions to check for what you’re seeing.

Hi, does anyone know if it HAS to be an 8gb card? Have been trying all the recommendations in this post all day with my 4.2.2 dwin screen but with a 16gb card

You can try using a larger card, but partition it in your PC to have a single 2Gb partition. See if that works.

Hello, I have the same problem and I can’t update the screen. It seems like I have a gen 4 screen (Identifying Ender 3 V2 screen versions). Does anyone know if these can be updated ? I tried with the official marlin firmware in the Ender 3V2 section of the Creality website but it doesn’t work. The screen updates but no icons. I have a Ender 3 S1 but the screens need to be updated like if it was an Ender 3V2.

There may not be a lot of info on the new screens at the moment. Personally, I can’t add any new information for you.

Try using the MarlinUI version of firmware and see if that gives you better functionality on the new screens.

Hello,

I already tried but it doesn’t work. I used this firmware instead : https://github.com/mriscoc/Ender3V2S1/releases/tag/20221222
There is no problem because I don’t have to update the screen for this one !

Ironically, this is the same UI that the daily non-Marlin UI firmware uses.

Yes that must be why I don’t have to flash the screen.